Welcome and thank you for visiting. If you enjoy what you read here, please come back and visit again!
 
Close window

Saturday, November 21, 2009

AMD Athlon64 X2 7750: Surprise-In-A-Box

Read this first, then read the edit!

Well, I couldn't stay away and keep me fingers relaxed... until now.

Presenting: AMD Athlon X2 7750 (NON-Black Edition), stable overclock (from 2.7 GHz to... 3.1 GHz!) - stock voltage+0.05 volts for CPU and stock voltage for RAM. Considering that my CPU is an Ex-Phenom (with two cores disabled), it's nice. Too bad it's not a BE and I have a crappy motherboard, because I could unlock the other two cores and maybe be lucky enough for them to be stable.

But fear not, all's not lost. It's just stalling.

Screenshot:

OVERCLOCK!


EDIT, after 30 minutes

After surfing thru AMD's website and checking stuff, I decided to see my CPU specs.

All was fine and dandy until I searched for the model. Apparently, AMD has released TWO IDENTICAL CPUs branded 7750, one of which was the Black Edition (Unlocked Multiplier). Well now, I first searched for my 7750 by selecting the model. Page loads, AMD says "Black Edition: Yes". I tought something was wrong at first. I pushed back on my browser, selected "Black Edition: No" from the sorting list, and guess what, there was no 7750. Well now, that was odd.

After having overclocked the CPU to a dandy 3.1 GHz (that's 400MHz overclock), I decided to test the theory that I may be a lucky son of a bitch to have a Black Edition CPU. I rebooted the computer, hoped that the multiplier options in the BIOS would go above 13.5 but they didn't. So I selected x13 multiplier and put a 231 FSB (which would equal 3003 MHz). If my CPU will turn out NOT to be a Black Edition CPU, then all I would get is my initial 3.1GHz overclock, plus/minus some megahurtz.

Here goes nothing. With the setup above (FSB/Multiplier), I save my BIOS and reboot. As soon as the PC passes POST, I push "Del" like a fat kid who sees candy, very eager for the result. I go to my CPU Info in bios, and guess what. GUESS WHAT.

AMD Athlon64 X2 7750 Dual-Core Processor
3003 MHz

That proved it. I R HAZ A BLAXOR EDITION CPU!

After that, I couldn't resist NOT cranking up the stuff more.

I've modified the Multiplier back to x13.5 (highest), and modified the FSB to 237. Saved the bios, hoping my RAM would bare with me, and crossed fingers. POST, "Del", CPU Info: TA-DA! 3199 MHz. I overclocked this son of a bitch by 0.5 GHz.

The system is stable, the voltage is the same as the last overclock, so now I have a 3.2GHz Black Edition BADASS X2 Athlon CPU. I will do some stability tests, but I think the setup is rock solid.

There are only TWO black edition CPUs on the B3 stepping, one of which was released very recently, with AMD's 40 Year Anniversary. The other one's mine.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/desktopcpuresult.aspx?f1=AMD+Athlon%E2%84%A2+X2&f2=&f3=&f4=512&f5=AM2%2b&f6=B3&f7=65nm+SOI&f8=95+W&f9=3600&f10=False&f11=True&f12=True

On another note, if I would have another motherboard, I may be able to unlock the other two disabled cores from the originally PHENOM cpu (which was made into this one and codenamed Kuma). But I'll settle for this gigantic overclock for now!

ALSO, I managed to raise my Windows Experience Index (CPU-wise) to 6.5 from 6.1. That's huge! No rly, it's damn huge.

Now for the eyecandy:

CPU-Z VALIDATION LINK: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=839247

OVER FUCKING CLOCK MOTHAFUCKA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment